Sulzano
  • PDF
  • Print
  • E-mail

   

Between past and present

sulzanoSulzano is situated in an area that was already inhabited in Roman times. The main centre was once in Martignago whereas Sulzano was only the port. Up to the 18th century the lands in Sulzano belonged to the Oldofredi family, landowners from Iseo. At that time the village had a few hundred inhabitants but it had neither walls nor a castle.

There were eight “calchere” (ovens of ancient origin) where quicklime was produced and many people worked there, transporting the quicklime throughout the area by boat on Lake Iseo. A lot of coalmen worked in the woodlands. In about 1800 wool manufacturing became widespread but the woollen mills were soon replaced by net manufacturers, partly due to the exodus of some craftsmen from Montisola who preferred to move to the mainland where it was easier to transport their goods.

If you are staying in Sulzano, don’t miss the chiesetta di San Mauro (the little church of St. Maurus), built in the 15th century, with the remains of a small monastery which can be found in the Contrada della Rovere district. Don’t forget to stop at the Santuario di San Fermo (the Sanctuary of St. Firmus) built on the hillside in a secluded place near the oldsulzano3 Roman road known as the Via Valeriana. This little church, which was restored in 1616, has an old doorway framed with green stone.

For thousands of years l'antica Via Valeriana (the old Roman road) was the obligatory route north. as well as to Valtrompia, in the Brescia area. This path, which also goes through Sulzano, was repaired and reopened in 2002 and here landscape, art and history all converge in harmony … (see “Itineraries”)